The Reimbursement Dietitian
Dietitian Boss: It is about creating the wealth that affords you the life you’d LOVE to live instead of settling for what you can get.
In this one-of-a-kind program, I will teach you my step-by-step reimbursement framework that helps you to get credentialed, bill and make the money you deserve as a Registered Dietitian. I developed The Reimbursement Dietitian Group Coaching Program from the many lessons I have learned over the last decade from building my own multi 6-figure group nutrition private practice using health insurance as the predominant payment model.
Note: If you are a Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) and reside in a NON-licensure state, you can more than likely accept insurance as well. Check with your state’s statutes. But my course is likely a good fit for you, too!
Trying to figure out insurance reimbursement can be SO overwhelming and time-consuming.
And it is fair to say I know those feelings well. Around 15 years ago when I was trying to figure out this whole insurance thing there were very few resources available.
So after years and years of trial and error – I decided it was time to design a program that not only provided the necessary reimbursement resources for dietitians but also walks you step-step through the process to ensure your success. Enter my EPIC Reimbursement Coaching Program.
Trust me this SHIT is dope! Like next level …
Because I have been in your shoes and I understand…
- How overwhelming the whole credentialing process can feel.
- How frustrating it is to understand your true financial potential in your practice but aren’t hitting your revenue goals.
- How tempting it is to want to give-up with even trying to accept insurance in your practice and revert back to a self-pay model.
- How important a strong support system is to build your insurance-based practice. My group program includes dietitians just like YOU, in similar stages of the reimbursement process.
And if you are like most of the awesome dietitians I know, you are willing and able to put in the work it takes to create a thriving insurance-based private practice. You just need the support to know exactly what you need to be working on in each stage of the reimbursement process.
Curious what other rock-star RDs just like yourself are saying about The Reimbursement Dietitian’s Services? Click HERE to hear more.
With my proven approach and framework, there is no doubt in my mind you can create a multi 6-figure insurance-based private practice. I did, and you can, too!
A thriving and profitable insurance-based private practice dietitian needs…
- To be set up appropriately from a BUSINESS standpoint
- Be CREDENTIALED with the RIGHT insurance companies for their given TARGET patient population
- MAXIMIZE their insurance reimbursement rates using the correct CPT CODES.
- Master PREVENTATIVE coding to ensure their patients have UNLIMITED visits
- Establish TEMPLATES to save loads of TIME and MONEY
- SUCCESSFULLY DISPUTE insurance rejections quickly to ensure prompt payment
My programs meet you EXACTLY where you are at in your insurance-based journey.
At The Reimbursement Dietitian, there is NO one size fits all approach to coaching RDs who are looking to/or who currently accept insurance in their practice.
That is why I offer a tiered approach for my coaching products. This means my program accommodates ALL levels of insurance-based dietitians. So whether you are brand spanking NEW to accepting insurance (Welcome!) or a seasoned RDs who has been billing insurance for a while; The Reimbursement Dietitian has a program to support you where you need it most.
Level 1 of my Reimbursement Coaching Program is for dietitians who are just getting started with their insurance-based practices. This level is ALSO really good for dietitians who are already credentialed. BUT don’t know what they are really doing.
Click HERE to watch a video I created on the topic of RDs who are already credentialed.
While levels 2 and 3 are aimed at supporting RDs as they navigate growth and scaling their insurance-based practice. Level 2 includes personal access to me via my private coaching hours on Voxer. While level 3 includes personal office hours plus one coaching call with me per month.
Think about it like having a whole bunch of wicked rad private cheerleaders to support and cheer through your reimbursement journey.
What is better than that?
And yes. I know it feels scary to invest in your private practice even if you aren’t crushing it yet. But what I can tell you from my own experience is those feelings of being overwhelmed, confused and frustrated about accepting insurance in your practice linger until you follow through with your goal of making money a priority.
Because Sis. I got you on this one. Seriously.
In a matter of 6 months, The Reimbursement Dietitian Group Coaching Program will save you YEARS of trial and error and endlessly searching for answers on where to start.
Not to mention you’ll be saving yourself time and money by setting yourself up to build your reimbursement systems with clarity so you can EASILY bill insurance and create a highly profitable practice.
With my group coaching program, you will receive training on EVERY area of reimbursement for dietitians in private practice. When you apply to my program I will assess where you are at and make suggestions for what level of my program I feel is the best fit for you. Each level has different tools, resources, and training based on your starting point. This way you really get the most customized experience consistent with your goals.
I am SO confident that my Reimbursement Coaching program will deliver EVERYTHING I promise (and more!) that I offer a money-back guarantee within the first 30 days. If you join and don’t feel like my program is as AWESOME as I (and hundreds of other RDs) say it is I will give you your money back no questions asked.
My Group Program is evergreen. All levels of enrollment are 6 months in duration. Most RDs who I work with stay with me for a minimum of 1 to 2 years.
This means you can APPLY to my program at any time throughout the year. And if you are a good fit you can get started within a couple of weeks of your application. Note – I still keep a limited amount of spots. So please fill out an application if you are interested.
Module 1: Pre-credentialing
- Identify the importance of an NPI Type 1 & NPI Type 2
- Determine how to obtain an NPI Type 1 & NPI Type 2
- Identify the importance of Malpractice Insurance & purchase the one that best suits the needs of your practice
- Successfully complete the CAQH application
In this module, I set you up for success! We tackle literally everything you NEED to have before starting the credentialing process. We talk business structure, EINS (and why you NEED one!), liability insurance, and exactly HOW to successfully complete the CAQH application. I provide samples of completed CAQH applications so you can compare YOURS against mine. NOTE – if this part of the reimbursement process is not completed accurately and in its entirety down the road you will experience issues.
Module 2: credentialing
- Determine which insurance companies to apply to become credentialed with based on your state
- Understand the importance of building your insurance provider number ‘database’
- Apply for credentialing
- Evaluate an insurance contract & fee schedule
- Successfully APPEAL closed insurance networks
Plus, while you are waiting (60-90 days) to get your contracts I created a series of actionable steps and activities you can be doing in your practice. This way you are utilizing this time to properly set up your practice and establish a rock-solid foundation. This module includes information about:
Setting your cash rates
Selling programs/packages and a la carte services
Marketing your insurance-based practice
Setting up automation for making your practice as efficient AF
Licensure 101 for RDs
Suggestions for personal growth
I am ALL about efficiency. And I don’t want you to waste ANY of your precious time. So I teach you how to spend it … wisely 🙂
Module 3: CPT codes, ICD codes & Preventative Coding
- Determine which CPT codes dietitians can bill insurance with to maximize their reimbursement rates
- Identify the ICD 10 Codes dietitians can use to maximize both their patient’s MNT benefits and their reimbursement rates
- Define the necessary modifiers to be used on claims to ensure they get paid promptly
- Define the application of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) for dietitians
- Interpret preventative coding in the setting of the ACA
Module 4: Verifying Patient MNT Benefits
- Define the importance of verification of a patient’s MNT benefits
- Identify the information needed to verify a patient’s MNT benefits
- Summarize how to document a patient’s MNT benefits
- Identify the information needed to collect from the patient at the initial visit to successfully bill insurance
- Determine which insurance companies typically require a referral for MNT
Module 5: Insurance billing basics What you can actually bill INSURANCE for?
- What things can you NOT bill insurance for?
- What things can you bill the PATIENT for?
- For FEES should you be prepared to collect from the patient?
- What is a co-pay? And when should you collect it?
- What is a deductible? And when should you collect it?
- What is the difference between DOCUMENTATION and an actual REFERRAL?
Module 6: THE CMS 1500 FORMS
- Define what a CMS 1500 form is used for when seeking reimbursement for MNT
- Identify different MNT billing scenarios when a CMS 1500 form will be used
- Identify the information that must be included on each CMS 1500 form submission
- Define the important areas on a CMS 1500 you need to fill out for each claim submission
MODULE 7: submitting insurance claims
- How to select an EMR
- What is a clearinghouse and why this is super important
- How to set up your templates in Office Ally
- How to submit claims in Office Ally
- What to expect once you have submitted a claim in Office Ally
- How to SUCCESSFULLY navigate rejections (they happen! even to me)
MODULE 8: simple practice
- The basics of using Simple Practice
- How to set up your Back End of Simple Practice
- How to submit claims in Simple Practice
In this module, I walk you through the fundamentals of billing using Simple Practice, Office Ally, and Practice Better. Also, note one time per month we have specific office hours dedicated to using and setting up EMRs. So don’t worry if it feels a little overwhelming at first. We are ALWAYS here to help you navigate the good, the bad & the ugly. Attend the office hours and we can answer any and all of your questions about most EMRs.
Module 9: Explanation of payments (EOPs)
- Define the importance of an EOP
- Identify the critical components of an EOP
- Recognize what to do with an EOP once you have read it
- Determine how to set up electronic payments with each of the major insurance companies
Module 10: MARKETING YOUR INSURANCE BASED PRACTICE
- Explain how to utilize group counseling in your practice to maximize your reimbursement rates using a health-insurance based model
- Identify how to develop key alliances with local businesses to administer corporate wellness programs using a health-insurance based model
- Build strong alliances with local doctors who treat your target patient population
In this module, we tackle how to market your insurance-based practice like a rock star. Trust me, Sis. It doesn’t involve social media. What it does involve is creating authentic, long-lasting relationships with your community. Marketing your practice is going to be fun and not nearly as hard as you think. After all, what you have already is gold. And we just need to get your story and marketing message out there to the right peeps. In this module, I supply you with samples of everything I send out and use in my practice. You will see sample business cards in all shapes and forms, rack cards, postcards, and MD introduction letters. You can also share what you are working on during one of our live calls or in our private Facebook page for honest feedback. I got you boo!
MODULE 11: Medicare Basics
- Identify who qualifies for Medicare
- Identify what RDs can bill Medicare for
- Summarize the 3 different Medicare enrollment applications
- Recognize the 6 unique billing factors of Medicare
MODULE 12: Documentation
- Identify the key criteria required for insurance-based documentation
- Identify the critical mistakes not to make when documenting in your insurance-based practice
In addition to this all-star curriculum, you will receive the following:
- Monthly LIVE Group Coaching Calls, including office hours 3 x per month, & access to workshops and webinars.
- Here is a link to our current calendar of events.
- Access to my stand-alone Medicare Course
- Access to the following Master Classes: How to Bill a la Carte Services, Billing and Coding 101, How to Bill out of state Insurance Companies & How to Ace your Insurance Audit
- Access to important reimbursement resources like referral forms, verification forms, and scripts that save you tons of time & money
- Resources on telehealth, licensure, basic info on taxes & what is expected from a documentation standpoint.
- Access to my kick-ass CheatSheet & Reimbursement Start Pack for Billing the Major Insurance Companies
- Peer networking and ah-mazing support within our Private Facebook Reimbursement Group Coaching Community for the duration of your 6-month program
- Killer advise and guidance on common reimbursement topics of discussion in the weekly LIVE Facebook Videos from yours truly – Amy Plano, The Reimbursement Dietitian
ALL the training modules are released at the start of the course. Therefore, you can work at your own pace. You have access to course modules for 6-months. Therefore, there is NO rush! Take them at your own speed.
The course contains specific, reimbursement training, as well as implementation exercises, resources, and actionable checklists to ensure your reimbursement success.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
The course is designed for ALL dietitians and Certified Nutrition Specialists (CNS) looking to reach more people with their services, grow the shit out of their practice AND maximize their reimbursement rates so they can make more money.
Even if you are ALREADY credentialed this is STILL an awesome program for you. We literally cover EVERYTHING about reimbursement. And trust me Sis, you don’t know what you don’t know.
Getting credentialed is the easy part. Learning how to successfully bill, reconcile claims and maximize your reimbursement – well that takes some solid education and handholding. And that is exactly what my program is all about. SUPPORT.
Level 1 is for dietitians and CNSs who are completely NEW to insurance.
All levels of my course provide 6-months of access to the trainings, resources, live group calls and our rad Facebook page community. Once your 6 month is up (TIME really flies!) you will have the option to join my membership style program that is only open for clients who have completed my group coaching program.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
In my experience just because you are credentialed it does not mean you know how to bill in a way that maximizes your reimbursement rates as a dietitian.
I have RDs in my programs who have been credentialed for years – but still don’t know half the shit they should. Plus, with my tiered system I have something to offer even the most advanced RDs.
I feel SOOOOO strongly that the answer to this question is a HARD YES that I did whole video on this. Click HERE to watch.
So while I commend you for your ability to get credentialed on your own – we will be covering everything from how to efficiently verify your patient’s benefits, to ‘special’ codes to use to get unlimited visits & what to do when your claims get rejected.
Trust me. Getting credentialed is the EASY part.
Learning how to maximize your reimbursement, successfully correct rejections and navigate ALL the major insurance companies weird billing rules that is the HARD part.
Due to evergreen nature of the course, the size will depend on the ‘season’ of enrollment. There are generally on average about 40-50 dietitians completing this epic program at any given time.
Level 1 paid in full is $3764 or 6 payments of $697, Level 2 paid in full is $5384 or 6 payments of $997 and Level 3 is $7004 or 6 payments of $1296
I BELIEVE my coaching program is so incredible that if you DO NOT love your experience within the first 30-days you can email me and I will provide you with a 100 percent refund of any money you have paid so far. Therefore, there is NO risk is joining. If you don’t love it I will refund all your money. Spoiler alert: I have had hundreds of RDs go through my program and no refunds to date. Trust me. You will love it!
Absolutely! Of course. My goal is to make my program accessible for ALL RDS interested in getting credentialed with insurance in their state. When need be if financial hardship exists I can extend the payment plan. We can talk more about this after you apply.
No. This course will provide you with the framework, guidance, and support necessary to support you in the credentialing process. It is your responsibility to follow-through by implementing this framework.
YES. As always check with the statutes for your state. In many states that don’t have licensure rules surrounding the practice of MNT CNSs can credential/contract with health insurance. BUT do your homework on your end regarding the legality of this process. I have had over 20 ah-MAZING CNSs complete my program. And I am happy to connect you with one of them if you have additional questions.
Sis, how can you not take this course? Seriously! If you are NOT accepting insurance in your practice then you are leaving money on the table. So, of course, the program is worth the cost. My reimbursement methodology shows you step by step how to get credentialed, bill and make killer money. The average reimbursement rate in the U.S. is $132/per hour.
You have access to the training modules for 6-months. This includes the training modules, resources, Facebook Community and live weekly calls.
The group coaching program is EVERGREEN. This means you can APPLY at anytime and if accepted you can get started within 7 days of getting accepted into the program.
Unfortunately, YES. Sadly, right NOW Florida & Michigan are states that are next to impossible to get credentialed with the insurance companies. So I currently DO NOT accept dietitians practicing in these states for my reimbursement coaching programs.
You know I am a straight shooter. And to be quite frank MOST dietitians are not ready to kill it in business let alone private practice after 6 months.
Many (uuuummm like 99 percent!) of RDs will need MORE support. So I promise I have an amazing next step for you once you finish up your 6 months of the program. And this next step (a.k.a. my membership just for my clients) will NOT break the bank.
But with that being said. This ‘be your own boss shit’ is HARD. TOTALLY worth it. But hard. It takes discipline, patience, focus and direction. And you need to commit to the end game. OR don’t start in the first place.
Also never forget, “If you look close enough every overnight success took a long time.”
Ready to grow your practice by accepting health insurance, make some serious money and increase the number of people you can help with your services? Apply now for The Reimbursement Dietitian Coaching Program.